If you follow me on Instagram… you know that I’m back on the Weight Watchers train. Currently, I’m at 237 lbs and I really would like to see that number be below 200. I am an emotional eater. It doesn’t matter the emotion, I like to eat. I find that when things are going really well in my life, it’s easy for me to cook at home and eat things that are better for me. It just tastes better. But man, when I’m feeling down… I need comfort food. Badly. And the last few days, we’ve been caving to the cravings. Not gonna lie… this whole eating right thing is REALLY hard for us. BUT. Last week, I was looking for new things to eat through Weight Watchers, and I found a bunch of slow cooker recipes. Since the summer is coming, I thought it would be better to do these… make them in the morning, then there’s no excuse NOT to eat them at night.
My second favorite thing to eat is Thai food. There’s nothing (other than pizza) better. I found THIS little gem among the slow cooker recipes and decided to try it. IT WAS AMAZING. I’m making it again tonight, and thought I should share it with y’all. So… here we go!
*I used broccoli instead of cauliflower and it turned out AMAZEBALLS.
- 13 1/2 fl oz light unsweetened coconut milk
- 7 tsp Thai curry paste, red variety, divided (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp table salt, (or to taste)
- 1/2 head(s) (large) uncooked cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 pound(s) uncooked potato(es), peeled, cut into small chunks
- 1 medium sweet red pepper(s), cut into chunks
- 2 medium uncooked carrot(s), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/2 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), six 4 oz pieces
- 2 Tbsp smooth reduced fat peanut butter
- 1/3 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 3 medium uncooked scallion(s), sliced
- 1 medium fresh lime(s), cut into 6 wedges
- 2 Tbsp peanuts, salted, chopped
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, whisk together coconut milk, 4 teaspoons curry paste and salt until blended. Add cauliflower, potatoes, pepper and carrots; toss to mix and coat.
- Rub 2 teaspoons curry paste all over chicken; place chicken on top of vegetable mixture. Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW setting until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, about 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and cut into bite-size pieces (or shred using two forks); set aside.
- Stir peanut butter and remaining 1 teaspoon curry paste into slow cooker until blended. Add chicken back to slow cooker with cilantro and scallions; gently stir to coat. Spoon onto plates or into bowls and serve with lime wedges; sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon peanuts. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
- Make sure to cut the cauliflower, carrots and potatoes into similar-size small pieces so they cook through in a similar amount of time.
Season to taste with salt and fresh lime juice before serving, if desired.
For a spicier kick, serve with sriracha sauce on the side.